Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Protecting California Consumers from Dealership Fraud
Were you sold a “Certified” Used Car? If you were sold an automobile by a California dealership that was “certified” whether or not your California vehicle is a lemon, it is possible that you were a victim of auto fraud. Many CA dealers simply gloss over their “120” point inspection or don’t do it at all. And they often do not follow certain anti-fraud laws set out in the vehicle code.
Did you know that if a Auto Dealer in CA represents to you that the a used vehicle being sold to you was certified, then the California Vehicle Code imposes certain requirements. The code calls it advertising, but it does NOT have to be in a newspaper or other publication. If the dealer has a banner or sign or verbally tells you it’s certified then they have advertised in the eyes of the law because they have made a representation to you.
If a dealership has advertised a “Certified” Used Vehicles anywhere in California, then this consumer protection law states:
11713.18. (a) It is a violation of this code for the holder of any dealer’s license issued under this article to advertise for sale or sell a used vehicle as “certified” or use any similar descriptive term in the advertisement or the sale of a used vehicle that implies the vehicle has been certified to meet the terms of a used vehicle certification program if any of the following apply:
(1) The dealer knows or should have known that the odometer on the vehicle does not indicate actual mileage, has been rolled back or otherwise altered to show fewer miles, or replaced with an odometer showing fewer miles than actually driven.
(2) The dealer knows or should have known that the vehicle was reacquired by the vehicle’s manufacturer or a dealer pursuant to state or federal warranty laws.
(3) The title to the vehicle has been inscribed with the notation “Lemon Law Buyback,” “manufacturer repurchase,” “salvage,” “junk,” “nonrepairable,” “flood,” or similar title designation required by this state or another state.
(4) The vehicle has sustained damage in an impact, fire, or flood, that after repair prior to sale substantially impairs the use or safety of the vehicle.
(5) The dealer knows or should have known that the vehicle has sustained frame damage.
(6) Prior to sale, the dealer fails to provide the buyer with a completed inspection report indicating all the components inspected.
(7) The dealer disclaims any warranties of merchantability on the vehicle.
(8) The vehicle is sold “AS IS.”
(9) The term “certified” or any similar descriptive term is used in any manner that is untrue or misleading or that would cause any advertisement to be in violation of subdivision (a) of Section 11713 of this code or Section 17200 or 17500 of the Business and Professions Code.
11713.18. (b) A violation of this section is actionable under the Consumers Legal Remedies Act (Title 1.5 (commencing with Section 1750) of Part 4 of Division 3 of the Civil Code), the Unfair Competition Law (Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 17200) of Part 2 of Division 7 of the Business and Professions Code), Section 17500 of the Business and Professions Code, or any other applicable state or federal law. The rights and remedies provided by this section are cumulative and shall not be construed as restricting any right or remedy that is otherwise available.
11713.18. (c) This section does not abrogate or limit any disclosure obligation imposed by any other law.
11713.18. (d) This section does not apply to the advertisement or sale of a used motorcycle or a used off-highway motor vehicle subject to identification under Section 38010.
Contact us if you have purchased a certified vehicle. We can help you determine if you have a claim.
Contact the Lemon Law Lawyers Today
If you bought a lemon and need help dealing with the headache of a broken vehicle, you need a lemon law attorney. The San Diego, California consumer protection attorneys at the Law Offices of Douglas D. Law, Esq. are here to help. Call us Toll Free at (888)829-9033, or press the BIG BLUE BUTTON below to get your free consultation!